Albert Hinrich Hussmann (1874-1946)
was an East Prussian sculptor and painter. He was born on March 3, 1874 in Lüdingworth, an urban district of Cuxhaven. He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Berlin, the oldest art school in Berlin which was founded in 1696. Since 2001, the institution bears the name University of the Arts, is in government hands, and the smallest state-run University of the capital.
The life of Albert Hinrich Hussmann
During his studies he specialized early in the presentation of equestrian statues. From 1900 he was regularly represented at major German art exhibitions. Today, the sculptor considered one of the greatest animal sculptors of the 20th Century brought forth. In 1914 he was honoured by the “Golden Medal of Arts”, given to him by the emperor William II. William II was the last German emperor during the years 1888 and 1918 and King of Prussia. Albert Hinrich Hussmann is known as creator of several famous sculptures he created at his studio in Berlin. Some of his sculptures made in Berlin got bought by famous families of industrialists. Two of his famous clients were the family “von Bohlen und Halbach” and the family “Krupp”. Both families belong to the most important entrepreneurial families of the 19th as well as of the 20th century. The family Krupp consolidated in 1999 with the Thyssen AG and their company is today known as ThyssenKrupp AG.
Influences on his works
One of the sculptures the family Krupp once bought is still exhibited at the outside area of the “Villa Hügel”, the formal mention of the Krupp family in Essen, Germany. The life-size sculpture exhibited there, is called “Weidendes Pferd” (Grazing Horse). Albert Hinrich Hussmann was a professor and a co-founder of the Guild of Saint Luke. He was married to Wally until death departed them. He and his wife lived at Fürstenberg, where Hussmann started to work for a porcelain manufacture at the age of 70. Fürstenberg is a small town in Lower Saxony. The Fürstenberg China Factory is known as the second oldest porcelain manufacture in Germany. The oldest one is the famous manufacture is Meißen, Saxony. The manufacture in Fürstenberg was founded in 1747 by Johann Georg von Langen at direction of the Duke Charles I of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel. After the artist died on November 15, 1946 in Fürstenberg, his widow Wally donated one of the sculptures of her dead husband to the community of Fürstenberg. The sculpture was named “Vollblut” (Thoroughbred) and is still exhibited at the Hußmannplatz in Fürstenberg, where the public can view it. In our shop you will find bronze sculptures of him in high quality.