Paul Ponsard (1882-1915) was a French artist and sculptor.
He was born in 1882 in Le Raincy. The small community is located in the department of Seine-Saint-Denis, Ile-de-France region. Here is also the church of Notre-Dame du Raincy, which was designed by Auguste Perret.
He learned the craftwork of sculpture. He travelled through France to continue his education.
In his early life he focused on modern arts that increased at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century. He produced more and more artistic styles and trends. His extraordinary sculptures and figures he created especially in the style of the Art Nouveau.
Art Nouveau or Secession is an international philosophy and style, architecture and applied art — especially the decorative arts — that was most popular during 1890 until 1910. It appears often with decorative curved lines, extensive floral ornaments and without symmetries.
Moreover the program of Art Nouveau turns away from the artistic tradition of the Historism.
Secession is considered a “total” style, embracing architecture, graphic art, interior design, and most of the decorative arts including jewellery, furniture, textiles, household silver and other utensils and lighting, as well as the fine arts. According to the philosophy of the style, art should be a way of life.
For many Europeans, it was possible to live in an art nouveau-inspired house with art nouveau furniture, silverware, crockery, jewellery, cigarette cases, etc. Artists desired to combine the fine arts and applied arts, even for utilitarian objects.
Paris became the centre of the Secession, last but not least also because of the other art salons in the city at the river Seine. Also in Nancy, a centre of modern art arose, after Émile Gallé had founded there the École de Nancy, an art academy for craftwork with glass, porcelain and furniture. We can assume that Ponsard himself visited Paris and Nancy and worked there as well as he associated with the artists there.
Ponsard died on February 16, 1915 in Vauquois, a small community in the department of Meuse in the Lorraine region.